September 21, 2012

WOLCHULSAN, TO THE BRIDGE

In August I took a trip to Yeongam to hike this mountain. It was a humid 90 degrees, but daylight and bus schedules established my decision not to finish.

I've been trying to find time to repeat this venture ever since. The extent of visible stone that makes up the summit is both peaceful yet piercing, providing a shocking view that I have not quit feeling an invitation from. It was also a special hike with special people during a special time.

Thinking about summiting Wolchulsan brought me to an interesting predicament. I don't know why, but I've always felt mountains were like books in that once you started them, they must be completed. And you know what, that's stupid. I should immediately ditch this mentality.

Actually, that is the only course of action for a person who will be entering the Everest region in five months.

Either way, I want to finish this mountain because I can't stop thinking about it. I'm hoping all those Koreans I saw on the beach last month forgot to change their calendars or I can multiply the five people I saw hiking Wolchulsan in August by about 100.








No comments:

Post a Comment